The Mission and Service Committee of Grace Congregational Church is entrusted by the congregation to disburse funds to those in need globally and locally. For many years we have contributed to HEAL, an organization founded by Jennifer Wright, a Grace Church member, who opened a secondary school and children’s home in Kenya. Historically we have also provided hands-on opportunities in the form of Fourth Sunday dinners, helped with home repairs, and supported mission trips to hurricane devastated areas. Sadly the pandemic has put a halt to many of the in person events the community so looks forward to, so we have sought to help in other ways, most notably by providing food and homemade cookies for the Comfort Zone which prepares take home meals for those in need. We look forward to becoming involved again in fellowship missions once the virus has been tamed.
In 2021 we contributed funds to the efforts of several area programs, such as:
- Bridge to Rutland: New organization which is supporting asylum seekers by providing lodging, skills training and legal counsel until they are able to apply for their work visas and become self-sufficient and contributing members of the community.
- Rutland City Open Door Mission: Offers meals and shelter to those in need.
- Community Cupboard: Local food shelf which provides food and other necessary supplies to those who are experiencing food insecurity due to unemployment, underemployment or unexpected expenses.
- New Story Center: Shelter for survivors of domestic and sexual violence in Rutland County.
- Dismas House: Provides a home and offering a second chance to men and women newly released from prison who are seeking to redirect their lives.
- Rutland’s Promise: New organization designed to offer safe shelter to families experiencing homelessness until they can turn their lives around.
- Rutland Free Clinic: Offering medical and dental care to the underinsured.
- The Comfort Zone of Rutland United Methodist Church: Partners with other local churches, including Grace Church, to provide breakfasts, lunches, clothing and other items.
- Bennington Rutland Opportunity Council (BROC): Recently received funds from Grace M&S, specifically marked for fuel and utilities assistance during the cold months ahead.
The needs of Rutland County have always been significant, and the pandemic has exacerbated those needs exponentially. We are grateful to the members of Grace Church for allowing us to share our bounty with area and global programs which are doing so much to help our neighbors near and far.
Chair, Mission and Service
Grace Congregational Church